Health Careers Recruitment
UAMS North Central Recruiting Goals
- To increase student awareness of and interest in health careers
- To provide information and opportunities to North Central Arkansas students interested in pursuing a health career
UAMS North Central is pleased to present the following opportunities:
Health Career Presentations are given to practically any group of students (8th grade or above) such as clubs, homerooms, or classes (AP/honors, chemistry, biology, A & P, physics, algebra, career orientation, Med Pro Ed, health, etc.) Adjustments in subject matter and length are made for each group according to the interests and needs of the students being served.
Current Presentation Topics:
- So Many Choices: Arkansas Health Careers
- Health Care Career Connections
- Professional Appearance and Interview Skills
- All Hands on Deck
Pre-Professional Support is offered to pre-professional students at colleges and universities throughout Arkansas to inform and help the students get into professional school to achieve their dream of becoming a health care professional.
Pre-Professional Support includes:
- Job shadowing opportunities
- Volunteer opportunities
- MCAT Test Prep
- Mock Interviews
- Personal Statement Review
Club Scrub is for students in grades 8th-11th. Students learn about different health care careers from presenters and get to participate in fun, hands on activities that are all about health careers! Club Scrubs meet for 4 sessions and sessions can be scheduled for once a week during a class period for 4 weeks, twice a month for 2 months, etc. Students will receive a certificate upon completion of Club Scrub.
Medical Applications of Science for Health is for students that are entering the 11th or 12th grade. M*A*S*H is designed to expose high-school students to various health care careers through shadowing, tours, and getting to learn various hands-on medical skills. We have M*A*S*H Camps at different locations in the UAMS North Central territory. M*A*S*H is a:
- 2 week day camp in the summer for qualified students throughout North Central Arkansas
- Activities can include: Hospital Tour, Shadowing, Hands-on learning, lectures, Medical Terminology, Health Related Professions tour at colleges and universities, CPR training, Scenarios, Heart Dissection and Suturing, Drug and Alcohol education, UAMS Tour, Sports Medicine, Medical Games, Casting/Orthopedics, Med Flight Helicopter/Ambulance Tours, and so much more!!!
- This program is Free to students with snacks and lunch provided.
- Transportation is not provided
- A reception (Graduation) for the students concludes this event
- Applications are sent out in late January/early February to local school districts. Applications can be sent out upon request to other parties.
- Deadline to apply is the middle to the end of March each year.
- Some M*A*S*H Camps make applicants go through an interview as part of the selection process.
A Day in the Life
A Day in the Life is for SENIORS interested in learning more about a career in health care. These one day programs are aimed at helping High School Seniors make a decision about a medical career by providing information, interaction with professionals, tours, and hands-on activities. Seniors do have to apply and be accepted to take part in A Day in the Life programs.
For more information about any of the opportunities we offer contact:
Jesse Cargill, B.S., R.T.(R)(ARRT)
1993 Harrison Street
Batesville, AR 72501